Spiced anything gets a tick in our book, however a tangy pomegranate and apple combo is a favourite of ours. This recipe is a little indulging, but it’s winter so we’ll let you off!
- 1 pasteurized apple cider or apple juice
- 2 16 ounce bottles pomegranate juice or 4 cups cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or packed brown sugar
- 6 fresh kumquats, halved, or 6 3×1-inch thin orange peel strips
- 16 inches stick cinnamon, broken
- 12 cardamom pods, lightly crushed to expose seeds
- 12 whole cloves
- Optional: Thinly sliced apple, fresh kumquats and/or cinnamon sticks (optional)
In a large kettle, combine cider, pomegranate or cranberry juice, and maple syrup or brown sugar. To create your own spice bag, cut a double thickness of 100% cotton cheesecloth into a 12-inch square. Place the halved kumquats or orange peel, 16 inches stick cinnamon, cardamom pods, and cloves in center of cloth. Bring the corners of cloth together and tie closed with 100% cotton kitchen string. Add spice bag to the cider mixture. Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes before removing the spice bag.